Conn. Registers Steep Job Loss in Aug.Posted by jcashman
WETHERSFIELD, Conn. (AP) — State labor officials say Connecticut lost 8,600 jobs in August as the unemployment rate dipped to 9 percent.
Most of the lost jobs were in local government, accounting for 7,200. State labor officials said they are cautiously viewing the statistics gathered by the U.S. Department of Labor and hope revised numbers for this month will give a clearer picture of the number of jobs in Connecticut.
Employment in Connecticut was 1.6 million in August, an increase of 4,400 jobs over the year. The unemployment rate had previously been 9.1 percent.
Labor Statistics Supervisor Salvatore DiPillo said Thursday that overall, job creation in Connecticut appears to have lost momentum as it has slowed nationally.
Nationally, the unemployment rate in August was 9.1 percent.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.
- Employers Add No Net Jobs in Aug.; Rate Unchanged
- About 70,000 Without Power in Conn. Ahead of Irene
- Conn. Governor ID’s $135 Million in Savings
- Conn. Commuters Blast Proposed Fare Increases
- FACT CHECK: Perry, Romney Twist Records in Debate
Short URL: http://www.newenglandpost.com/?p=3956